Exchange 2010: Set Default Language in Outlook Web App (OWA)

Exchange2010

When a new user logs into Outlook Web App, he/she is prompted to choose the Language and Time Zone.

The default value for Language setting is 0, i.e. not defined resulting in users being prompted to choose a language the first time that they sign in to Outlook Web AppAdministrators can specify the default language, so that the users are not prompted to select Language as shown above. The Default language for OWA can be set using the following command.

Set-OWAVirtualDirectory “owa (Default Web Site)” -DefaultClientLanguage <Language code>

In this example I have changed the default client language to Catalan, this causes the default folders names to be renamed based on the specified language i.e. Catalan.

Note:

  • Once the default client language is specified when the users try to login for the first time (ever) in OWA, they are not prompted to choose a language and OWA Time Zone is picked up from the time zone of Client Access Server.
  • In OWA then The Users can use Regional Settings in Outlook Web App to change Client language and time zone after they sign in.
  • The change does not affect users who had already logged in once, before the default Language is specified
  • List of Language Codes can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997435.aspx

A Weird Issue:

Now that I belong to India, I tried to set Default Language to Hindi and bum, I was in for a surprise, I encountered an error

[PS] C:\>Set-OwaVirtualDirectory “owa (Default Web Site)” -DefaultClientLanguage 1081 Invoke-Command : Cannot bind parameter ‘DefaultClientLanguage’ to the target. Exception setting “DefaultClientLanguage” : “DefaultClientLanguage contains the value “1081” which is not a supported LCID value.” At C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Exchange\RemotePowerShell\w2k8r2-dc-msx.quest-demo.com\w2k8r2-dc-ms x.quest-demo.com.psm1:54539 char:29 +$scriptCmd = { & <<<< $script:InvokeCommand, + CategoryInfo : WriteError: (:) [Set-OwaVirtualDirectory], ParameterBindingException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterBindingFailed,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetOwaVirt ualDirectory

Well I have raised this with the product team ! I have not checked to see what all Languages give this error.